Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Investing: Simple But Not Easy

A nice piece by Larry Swedroe via AllFinancialMatters. Swedroe talks about the necessity of bear markets - when market prices are falling significantly. It's interesting from my personal standpoint - I am a complete newbie when it comes to investing. I've been reading up on a lot over the last three months, but I have yet to actually commit to anything. I have $500 in my IRA; I plan on getting that at or close to $2000 by month's end, at which point I will finally decide upon an investment vehicle for that money.

But there are several key points in Swedroe's article. It talks about trying to time the market (and why it's a loser's game). Wise investing is about establishing a plan and being patient and disciplined. I'm working on the plan, I'm infinitely patient, and I'm getting better with the discipline. Also Swedroe points out that a bear market is actually a good time for new investors - stocks on the cheap! So despite the plummeting interest rates, this could be offset by an opportunity to let me start my portfolio with good value for my investment.

No comments: